In building a headline swipe file, one source of great headlines is copywriting genius John Caples.
John Caples was Vice President of the BBDO advertising agency and became famous as the copywriter who rigorously tested headlines and every element of advertising copy to make money for his clients. He began his advertising career with the Ruthrauff & Ryan agency and, he later recalled, cut his teeth on ''ads for hair-growers, fat-reducers, dandruff-removers and books on mental healing and personal magnetism.'' Caples is wrote one of the most famous and successful advertising headlines of all time: ''They Laughed When I Sat Down at the Piano but When I Started to Play!'
Here are 99 advertising headlines (in no particular order) from Tested Advertising Methods
and How to Make Your Advertising Make Money:
1. How Investors Can Save 75% on Commissions This Year
2. To a $15,000 man who would like to be making $25,000
3. Good-bye … old fashioned air conditioners
4. Now — $1 Enrolls You In The Doctors Hospital Plan To Safeguard Your Income and Savings If Sickness Or Accident Puts You In The Hospital
5. Do you have these symptoms of nervous exhaustion?
6. Car owners … save one gallon of gas in every ten
7. Greatest Bible News in 341 Years
8. How a Man of 40 Can Retire in 15 Years
9. Do you make these travel mistakes?
10. What’s wrong in this picture?
11. Now! Own Florida land this easy way … $20 down and $20 a month
12. Thousands have this priceless gift — but never discover it
13. Is $60 a day worth a postage stamp?
14. HOW TO HAVE A COOL, QUIET BEDROOM EVEN ON HOT NIGHTS
15. 161 new ways to a gourmet’s heart — in this fascinating book for cooks
16. Lose ugly fat — an average of 7 pounds a month
17. Get Rid of Money Worries for Good
18. I gambled a postage stamp and won $35,840 in 2 years
19. A wonderful two years’ trip at full pay — but only men with imagination can take it
20. You’ll never drive a dirty car again!
21. How I Made a Fortune With a “Fool” Idea
22. How I earn my living in 4 hours a day
23. Is dry skin making you look older than you should? Touch these 5 spots and find out.
24. How I improved my memory in one evening
25. Wanted — your services as a high paid real-estate specialist
26. Who else wants a whiter wash — with no hard work?
27. The lazy man’s way to riches
28. How $20 Spent may Save You $2000
29. Here’s How to Have a Long and Healthy Life.
30. If You Are a Careful Driver You Can Save Money on Car Insurance
31. Banish Teetering Furniture
32. The deaf now hear whispers
33. How to make money writing short paragraphs
34. How I started a new life with $7
35. How a strange accident saved me from baldness
36. Free book tells you 12 secrets of better lawn care
37. I never stopped eating yet I lost 107 pounds.
38. Spray Your Weeds Away with Weed Out
39. BE $2,278 RICHER
40. Learn Dressmaking — Earn Money at Home
41. Spare-Time Cash
42. How I became popular overnight
43. Now … a low-calorie Bacardi Daiquiri
44. You can speak French by October 15
45. Will Your Scalp Stand the “Fingernail Test”?
46. How to do your Christmas shopping in 5 minutes
47. Girls! Want quick curls?
48. New! Golf clubs specially sized for youngsters
49. NEXT 90 DAYS CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE – A Warning from the Wall Street Journal
50. Advice to Wives Whose Husbands Don’t Save Money
51. Will you give me 7 days to prove I can make you a new man?
52. How to collect from Social Security at any age
53. The world’s first atomic watch
54. Double your money back if this isn’t the best onion soup you ever tasted
55. Hollywood’s Make-up Secret
56. Announcing a New Home Money-Making Plan
57. Any 4 books (value up to $43.95) for only $1
58. They thought I was crazy to ship Live Maine Lobsters as far as 1,800 miles from the ocean
59. Order Christmas Gifts Now … Pay After January 1
60. How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
61. How $7 started me on the road to $35,000 a year
62. When doctors “feel rotten” this is what they do
63. I’ve tried ‘em all, but this is the polish I use on my own car … Frank Mills, Essex Garage
64. Tonight Serve This Ready-Mixed Chocolate Pudding
65. Why some people almost always make money in the stock market
66. How to Get Your Cooking Bragged About
67. Can you talk about books with the rest of them?
68. Free to brides … $2 to anyone else
69. I lost that ugly bulge in 2 minutes
70. At last! A steam iron with a “Magic Brain”
71. Announcing a new selection of Kodak home-movie cameras
72. Have You Any of These Five Skin Troubles?
73. You can laugh at money worries if you follow this simple plan
74. Great new discovery kills kitchen odors quick! — makes indoor air “country fresh”
75. They Grinned When the Waiter Spoke to Me in French — but their laughter changed to amazement at my reply
76. Can you pass the memory test?
77. The Book-of-the-Month Club is for people who don’t have time for unimportant books
78. Men who “know it all” are not invited to read this page
79. TO THE MAN WHO IS 35 AND DISSATISFIED
80. How a fool stunt made me a star salesman
81. Own a Rembrandt for only $7.95
82. Are you ashamed of smells in your home?
83. “My Sears Kenmore Sewing Machine has 9 different stretch stitches — imagine!” says famous designer Bonnie Cashin.
84. To people who want to write — but can’t get started
85. Would you invest $7 to be $1000 richer … without risking a cent?
86. BUY NO DESK Until You’ve Seen the Sensation of The Business Show
87. A WARNING to men who would like to be independent in the next five years
88. “No time for Yale — took college home,” says well-known author
89. Give me 5 days and I’ll give you a Magnetic Personality … Let Me Prove It — FREE
90. “Here’s an Extra $50, Grace — I’m making real money now!”
91. They Laughed When I Sat Down At the Piano But When I Started to Play! –
92. Do you make these mistakes in English?
93. WANTED: SAFE MEN for Dangerous Times
94. Play guitar in 7 days or money back
95. Can You Spot These 7 Common Decorating Sins?
96. Imagine me … holding an audience spellbound for 30 minutes!
97. The secret of making people like you
98. How to keep your husband home … and happy
99. You don’t have to be rich to retire on a guaranteed income for life